Saturday 7 March 2009

New toilet heaven, B&Q hell

Pleased to report that Chad and I (plus Dave and Des the builders) managed to find a new loo that will fit - phew.

It did require us to go to B&Q as it opened at 8am, never a good place to be before you have had a cuppa. Team B&Q were their normal helpful selves! Classic this morning went like this...

Crump: 'Good morning, I wonder if you can help me'

B&Q staff member: 'Ugh' - not sure how to write the sound that a cave woman makes in the movies as she gesticulates at the fire and the lump of diplodocus flesh sizzling on it.

Crump: ‘Is the white glaze on the 'Madrid' toilet which is displayed downstairs going to match the glaze on this sink (pointing to the 'Valencia') which we already have?’

B&Q staff member who turns out to be the bathroom ‘expert’: ‘They are both white, so yes’

Crump: ‘Yes I can see that, but whites can be different. So are they going to be the same, or might there be a chance that they are different?’

B&Q: ‘They are white so they are the same’

Crump: ‘ Sorry, I don’t think I am explaining this properly. I can see that they are white, but whites can be different, they could come from a different manufacturer for example. So is there a chance that they could be different and that you would recommend me not to mix and match?’

B&Q: ‘They are white, so they are the same’

Crump: ‘Thanks for your insights’

B&Q: ‘No problem, you can do it if you B&Q it!’

OK she didn’t say the B&Q doing it bit but she may as well have done. This is why Homebase exists - to fill the oh so important void that is customer service and product knowledge in the world of DIY. Homebase might not have as much stock and different options - but the stores are clean, the stock is tidy and when you ask them a question they don't just shrug their shoulders or say 'I don't know' and walk away from you unlike their orange uniformed counterparts.

What I think is funny is that the 'You can do it of you B&Q it' TV adverts feature staff who act like they work in Homebase. I suppose it is good for a company like B&Q to be aspirational though;+)

Anyway, because of the whole white issue we bought a new 'Madrid' loo AND sink and we have to take the now redundant 'Valencia' items (which are currently residing in the lounge) back – wish us luck...

PS. I wonder what other city or region of the world will have the honour of sharing its name with a toilet suite range? B&Q already have the Toronto and the Glouchester. Having been to Valencia, Madrid, Toronto and Glouchester I cannot see the link.

PPS. Any suggestions for city / WC twinning?

3 comments:

  1. Neil, this had me laughing out loud when I read this.

    Simply brilliant, you took me right there to the store and I could hear every word / grunt ;-)

    As to WC twinning, I think we have a few likely candidates up here - Grimsby, Goole et al!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to suppress quite a involuntary giggle too at your deadpan, "thanks for your insights" it's making me laugh again as I type it.

    Anyway...Bognor obviously! and Luton?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it is to do with the ability of a city to withstand siege:

    http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/siege_valencia.html

    Valencia was good, but it finally fell...to the French.

    Look out for the Troy toilet range, coming to you soon from MFI

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis