Tuesday 9 June 2009

Grumped: BA turning into Ryanair

In a massive traffic jam on the M25 having been picked up from T5 by a taxi driver. So a Grumped moment is at my finger tips...

Milan trip was good. I even managed to catch a bit of the old part of the city with a late night walk followed by an alfresco beer with Chair and our my lovely client. All very pleasant although it was pointed out that my eyes were blood shot and I looked like hell (the daily disposable contact lenses are very unforgiving after 18 hours of wear).

My Grumped moment relates to my flight out to Milan on Saturday.

I stupidly attempted to check in two bags. My micro suitcase and a laptop bag (doubling up as an 'on-site event bag'). The latter contained scissors and all manner of other sharp pointy things that you cannot take through Security - and hence why I wanted to check it in.

Anyway I wasn't allowed to without paying £35 pounds as my ticket only allowed one bag to be checked in. This was despite the fact that both bags together weighted less than my allowance.
Most annoying and out from my mouth popped the title of this post. This was met by a harsh look - batted back with my most smiley of smiles. 'Frosty' then couldn't - I guessed faked - not being able to print me a receipt and inconvenienced me further with a trip to the baggage desk where 'Incompetent' was unable after 10 minutes to print me a receipt.

Learnings from experience:
  • Don't fly British Airways - I know they are our national carrier but they are expensive and don't give you a better experience
  • Remember to get your jumbo suitcase from storage before you fly
  • Pay a few pounds to have your small case cocooned in 200 metres of security plastic wrapping. As the Spice Girls said "two becomes one" and you don't pay the extra (as I did on my return journey)

So ziga zig argh BA. I hope the £35 compensates for my new BA avoidance strategy.

3 comments:

  1. I have to say, they might be crappy, but I've had much worse. I could whine for hours about some of the worst flights I've ever had (thanks in no small part, usually, to my father), but I will always remember flying SAS where the burly 6' flight attendant DEMANDED we have coffee. Flying can be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jane. Plenty of stories about poor service from many airlines. The vast majority just do not seem to care, unless you are arriving in sunglasses, a wealth of LV luggage and going into First Class.

    The airline who focuses on incredible customer care and not price is going to do well. Or is this what Virgin do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that we all have 'moans about airlines' stories.

    I do love Lufthansa (although they did annoy me a month ago). A bit of German efficiency is what we all need from a airline carrier.

    I haven't flown with Virgin for ages. Last times I did it was a good experience (although the plane aborted take-off as we hurtled down the runway in Hong Kong which was a bit scary).

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis